- Bees pollinate as many as 170,000 species of plants.
- Without bees, there would not be so many different kinds of fruits and vegetables, or such beautiful colors on the lawn.
- Every third spoon of world food depends on pollination.
- Bees and other pollinators substantially contribute to the world’s food security. Pollination is worth annualy between US$ 235 billion and US$ 577 billion.
- A bee colony is as big as a small town. There are from 30,000 to 60,000 bees in each colony.
- The queen bee is the only one that lays eggs. She lays up to 2,000 eggs per day.
- Out of 20,000 species of bees, only one is widely used for commercial honey production.
- Honey bees’ wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
- Honey bees are the only bees that die after they sting.
- To make one kilogram of honey, the bees have to visit 4 million flowers and fly four times the distance around the world.
One thought on “Did you know?”
Great information and website!